[Farmall] Gas Draining from H tank with sediment bowl shut off...

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 11:07:43 PST 2007

GH-
 Yes...I guess I was, to some extent, questioning the  "alteration factor", too.  Most times when my machinery is/was  "acting up" in the fuel supply arena, it was due to flaking/grit/gunk  (in one of its many forms) at the tank's bottom.  Sometimes I was  able to do a sufficient cleaning by draining the tank and sloshing a  towel around, flush, repeat, etc.  Friend Mike Sloane sent me his  exhaustive and  complex solution (this involved tank removal,  strapping to a raised rear tractor wheel, rotating it for a couple of  house with pea stone or a chain inside, etc.).  I very much  respect Mike and his "tenacity"....me, I would more likely buy a new  tank or a whole new tractor before I went THAT far.  I recall,  after he sent me his instructions (along with 8x10 glossy photos with  circles and arrows on the back of each one).  I wrote back with MY  strategy which was along the lines of (1) remove tank (2) send it UPS  to Mike Sloane (3) patiently await its return.  He got
 a laugh,  but did not suggest that I follow through.
 I had a 420 on which the  owner had left the sediment bowl assembly in place but also put a paper  cartridge filter in the line (past the bowl).  It did not "look"  appealing and the tractor never ran correctly (for other problems).
  In the case of my crawler, I removed the sediment assembly from the  threads at the tank juncture and fitted the orifice with about 1/2 inch  of solvent inert tubing.  This translates, of course, to the fuel  being pulled from above the tank's floor.  This worked dandy, even  with vibrations and bumping along.
  Just thoughts.
  JM

Greg Hass <gkhass at avci.net> wrote:
About adding a gas filter: For several years I put up with my Cub leaking
gas from the carb every time I ran it out of gas, which was about twice a
year. There was no way to stop it without taking the carb apart and blowing
it out with air. The problem only occured if it ran out of gas. I didn't
want to try a filter because that would alter the tractor. I'm not too hung
up on keeping the tractor original as this is a working tractor although
not a lot of hours per year; however I don't like to change things just for
change. I did finally decide that if I kept taking the carb apart that
often it was only a matter of time before it was damaged so I installed one
of those inline see through filters; end of problem. It has been this way
for 5 years and not leaked since. My guess is that when these tractors were
used a lot, the filters weren't needed because gas was added so often the
scale and such did not form; I only fill mine about half full three times a
year. I have also noticed at shows that over half the tractors have these
filters installed.
Greg Hass