[AT] Farmall Super A data plate....

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 09:04:02 PST 2007

Try ordinary paint remover, Goo-Gone, carburetor cleaner, lacquer
thinner, oven cleaner, etc. Apply whatever you try with a cotton swab
wearing rubber gloves and try not to get it anywhere else but on the
serial number area. A little gentle rubbing with very fine 0000 steel
wool while the paint is soft probably won't hurt. You can fill the
stamped-in numbers with black paint rubbed on with your finger, or even
dirty old grease (works for me!) to bring out the numbers, once the old
paint is removed.

In practical terms, it probably doesn't really matter what year the
tractor was built - virtually nothing significant was changed on the
Super A during its production. But it is something folks always like to
know. There will be a date code somewhere on the engine block that will
tell when the engine was cast, which is generally about 3-6 months
before the tractor was built - IH usually liked to "age" the cast iron
parts before assembly. The date code will be something like 12-31-A (A
being the first year they were used, 1931, running to Z in 1954 and then
starting over again in 1955 until 1958.)

Mike