[AT] Farmall Super A data plate....

Howard Rawls howard at cconnect.net
Thu Jan 11 07:51:24 PST 2007

Hey Everybody,
    I finally got a chance to work on my lady friend's Super A some, and I
have a few more questions for the group. (Thanks in advance for any help!)
The bearings and bushings in the steering box seem to be in pretty good
shape, but the bolt that clamps the pitman arm to the sector gear shaft had
come loose and allowed some "slop" which caused right much wear on both
parts over time. I will try to find someone in the area to weld and
re-machine the end of the sector gear shaft and maybe just buy a new pitman
arm (I think that's what the manual calls it ;-)).
    I want to determine exactly what year model this tractor is, but I can't
quite read the  painted over numbers on the data plate. Does anyone know of
a "best" way to remove the paint so the numbers can be read??? I hesitated
to just start scraping for fear I would make a bad situation worse.
Thanks again for any suggestions!
Howard Rawls
Vanceboro, NC