[AT] Microwave Internet?

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:09:47 PST 2007

Gene,
I'm on a Motorola Canopy system that's microwave based (and encrypted,
I'm told). It works pretty nice; I can run streaming audio (internet
radio) and use a VOIP phone on it at the same time and still surf with
little degradation. Certainly it's not a T-1, but it works.
I used to have a different (unencrypted) one from Sprint Broadband;
while peak speed on the Sprint one was better for downloading big
files, the new one has a lower peak speed but interactive surfing is a
LOT faster. The latency is a lot lower, so the VOIP internet phone
works. Depends on what you're doing. I also use some internet
electronic distributors (Digikey, Mouser, etc) for parts ordering and
the interactive times on the old system were too much. I'm a LOT
happier with the new system. And my long distance costs me $5 a month
(for all continental US calls), plus the internet connection.

So figure out what you're normally doing on the 'net and use it as a trial.

Hope this helps,

Ken in AZ