[AT] oil pressure

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 08:20:27 PST 2007

>What the letter "STP" stood for was always either a mystery or an
>inside joke by the manufacturer. I was told once that they stood for
>"Scientifically Treated Petroleum", but I have my doubts.

Does anyone remember the big STP contest held in the late '60's for
the public to come up with a catchy name matching the letters?  The
contest was widely publicized in car, hot rod, and Popular Mechanics
type magazines.  I forget now what the first prize was.   But that's
how "Scientifically Treated Petroleum" got coined.

Richard