[AT] NAA + Sherman

Dave Merchant nesys_com at ameritech.net
Sat Feb 24 11:50:49 PST 2007

Warning, possible tractor content!

I bought an NAA with 3 speed Sherman last summer, runs good, been doing
small improvements.

One possible bigger issue is an apparent tranny leak.
There is a small crack on the bottom of the bellhousing, with tranny lube
leaking out slowly.
Checked the tranny, and the level was pretty low, but I have no idea how
long it had been
since the P.O. had checked it.

The question is, how is the Sherman lube connected to the tranny?
Is it a separate unit with its own lube, or does lube get thru the end
bearing from the main tranny?

If it's separate, how do you check + fill it?

I+T is pretty useless as usual, it shows how to fix the Sherman,
and some tiny muddy diagrams, but doesn't say how the lube works.

I may eventually be asking about tricks for splitting the tractor, but
maybe not yet.

I "think" the crack in the bellhousing isn't likely to grow, it runs
fore+aft, but I'm watching it.

Rear end sounds pretty noisy, mostly downhill. I expect the gears are worn,
but I don't plan on working it too hard. Lube was right up to the check
hole + looked good.

This is the same NAA we discussed hydraulic fluid on at length last fall.
We ended up changing the hyd fluid, put in TS's 134-D equivalent,
and the lift now runs really nice. Dipstick tube was missing, expect that's
where the water got in.

...The fluid that came out looked like Mountain Dew...!

The hyd inspection plate has been "modified", there is a big bolt plugging
a big hole.
Wonder if somebody had put farmer-fix remote hydraulics on it???

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net

http://www.nesys.com