[AT] For the steamer guys(now pto combine)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Feb 20 18:57:52 PST 2007

John Hall wrote:
> Sounds like its as unpredictable where you are as I am.
>
> Anybody up your way using those stripper type headers they came out with
> a few years back?
>
> Something else I saw recently was a type of harvester that harvested the
> heads and then delivered them to a staionary thresher. Can't rmember
> what the benefit was other thatn more improved threshing since the
> thresher wasn't bouncing around the field.

John , I've been trying for the past 24 hours or so to think of the name
of that harvesting system you mentioned. I recall reading about it a few
years back and it works just as you say. The machine cut and harvested
"graff" a combination of heads and partially threshed grain, leaving
tall stubble standing in the field. This graff was then hauled to the
yard or wherever the thresher was set up and separated there. I don't
think it has become very widespread in use yet.
The stripper header you mention might be the "Shelbourne Reynolds" and I
recall reading articles about that too. I don't know of any in use
locally either. Most of the big headers here are the basic factory ones
that come with the combines. Although there are quite a few of the
aftermarket Honeybee and Macdon draper headers around and owners really
seem to like them.

Ralph in Sask.