[AT] For the steamer guys(now pto combine)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 18 13:30:52 PST 2007

John Hall wrote:
> I take it that the weather in your area is typically pretty dry during
> harvest time? We are normally dodging rain showers that time of year.
> Could rain on consecutive days, could be 3 weeks apart,normally we only
> get rain about once a week. Either last year or the year before it
> started raining with a lot of wheat still out in the field.

Johm, how I wish that were true. But we are subject to the full array of
weather at harvest time. I've seen it almost too hot and dry so that the
straw wouldn't feed up the feeder house and the grain cracked.
Conversely I have seen it so tough and damp that straw wraps and plugs
and the grain is so tough that it stalls the unloading auger. Somewhere
in between those extremes is where we usually end up harvesting. In a
good dry fall I've seen harvest finish up early in september. But if
weather does not co-operate we can be held up for days, weeks on end
until in desperation we start harvesting tough or damp grain just to get
it done before winter sets in.
Most years we will make good use of both AC and heater in the combine
cabs before harvest is over. On rare occasions even the windshield wiper.:-)

Ralph in Sask.