[AT] For the steamer guys(now JD 65)

Jon Fridgen jon.fridgen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:38:33 PST 2007

Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to list and enjoy the posts... Just wanted to add
something about the old JD combines:

Ralph is right - the early 55's had a Hercules QXD6 six-cylinder engine.
Over the years, Deere increased the power and the later models used a 303
cubic inch JD engine (available in gas or diesel) that had about 75 hp. I'm
not sure how much horsepower the Hercules had, though...

I remember my Grandpa had a JD45 when I was a kid that had a Hercules JX4-C3
engine. The combine is long gone, but we've still got the engine sitting in
the shed. The early model 45s and 55s (maybe even the early 95s) all had a
flat belt driving the separator. I still remember all the four-letter words
that filled the air when a thistle patch or a damp spot was encountered
while harvesting swathed oats.

I couldn't help but chuckle about Ralph's comment regarding horsepower not
being the weakest link. We had a neighbor that had a JD 65 and in the early
80's actually used a JD 4240 tractor to power it. It didn't seem to matter
though - the combine still plugged.

The best,
-Jon

--