[AT] Cat 50

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Tue Feb 13 05:43:21 PST 2007

Joe

Grab it up and keep it.  The rotating engine sounds like the machine could
hold a lot of potential.  Except for the engine, just about everything else
you might need could also be found in the early D7's (9G model)   The most
common problem I've seen consistently with them over the years is the
transmission, and yours may not have failed so no repairs are yet needed.
The big round front cover holding all the gears and shafts in place has, as
an integral part of the casting, the bracket for the reverse idler gear.
Bushings in the reverse idler gear eventually wear out, dropping the gear
down a bit, and puts things into a bind, breaking the transmission front
cover. This was redesigned in the later machines and the later cover and
bracket will replace the earlier one with no other changes required.  If
either of you end up with the machine, you have a super addition to your
fleet.  I had a couple of nice Diesel 50s years ago, and sold them too
quickly, (part of my on-going education.)  The sale allowed me to get other
stuff to play with so I have no gripe, but I still miss them!

John Parks
Boise, ID