[AT] Canola to diesel

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 5 12:08:54 PST 2007

william.neff.powell at comcast.net wrote:
> My uncle had a diesel in his Chevy Station Wagon. When it got cold in the winter he would run straight kerosene. I can't remember if he put gasoline in the mix or not....
>
> Had no idea there were so many variations on a Diesel.....
>
> I have an HD6G Allis Chalmers with the first year they put the BUDA engine in it... Called it a Lanova Power cell engine.... Can't start it in the cold without ether. Well, so worn, can't start it cold anytime without ether, maybe if I am lucky on a 95 degree day it will start with out ether...
>
> I also have a 1985 Ford F-250 with a power stroke,.. Glow plugs to start it, then straight injectors after that...
>

> Will Powell
Will, your mention of the Buda and lanova power cells reminds me of the
time I worked for a farmer with a Cockshutt 50 diesel. Six cylinder Buda
273 with what I believe was the lanova combustion system with the energy
cells. This tractor was so hard starting that it was not uncommon to use
the block heater even on a warm summer day. It had the electric manifold
heater but not working at the time. I think this would have made quite a
difference as I know from experience it sure helps on the older Case
diesels.  Maybe it was low on compression too as it was already a well
used tractor at the time.

Ralph in Sask.