[AT] Canola to diesel

Tom Yasnowski tomyasnowski at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 10:27:06 PST 2007

I got this response from a diesel mechanic who specializes in MB--Note I
took out the nasty words that were included..he does not have a very good
disposition...

"They have a throttle plate that restricts the intake severely at low
speeds, resulting in compression ratios far below those required for true
diesel operation...possibly less than 3:1 at idle. This throttle plate is
not to be confused with the safety plate working like a check valve to
prevent the engine from running backward."

Wow, a plethora of ignorance. Had any of this been posed as a question it
would be understandable, but as a statement...

Mercedes do not have a throttle plate as you describe, some very early
diesels have a "Butterfly valve" and the intention was to increase vacuum in
the intake manifold at idle, they are tensioned closed by gravity or a small
spring and overcome as soon as the throttle is depressed, the throttle
itself releases tension on the fuel rail allowing it to move according to
raising vacuum of the running engine. The butterfly was thought to get rid
of lag. If there were a throttle plate reducing air, it would still not
restrict compression as the plate you are speaking of has a hole in it the
size of a quarter.

"Compression ignition requires manifold pressure very near atmospheric so
enough air is drawn in on the intake stroke for the necessary ignition
pressure to occur. With the throttle plate nearly closed the manifold
pressure, or vacuum if you prefer, prevents an adequate charge of air to be
drawn in for the necessary compression for diesel operation."

How do you explain turbo charged and supercharged diesels? My 6V92TA has a
supercharger to give it adequate air when starting and at idle, and a turbo
for power. How does that figure into your warped concept of the diesel
engine?

"the manifold pressure, or vacuum if you prefer"

The up, or down if you prefer. The on, or off if you prefer....

"They require glow plugs for starting and a heated ball pin
(acting like a constant glow plug) for continued running. A broken ball pin
will make the cylinder unable to fire. The injectors feed into a pre-chamber
containing both the glow plug and the heated ball pin. The combustion
begins there and is forced through an orfice into the main combustion
chamber. "

Preheating the intake air is very common in diesels. Some use glow plugs,
some intake air heaters, still others use ether injection. IF you are going
to discount these factors, you will have no diesels left. A broken "Ball
pin" will not prevent the cylinder from working, I have seen many, it will
reduce the efficiency of burn, a concept common to all prechamber engines or
about 9/10ths of the diesels made before 1980

"It's understandable that many Mercedes owners aren't aware of the
odd ignition system since it's unlikely many even consider working on
them. Of the eight I've owned 6 have been "diesels" and I've completely
rebuilt most of them. "

But still you have no concept of their operation. I have been working on
them for nearly 30 years beginning at age 15. Your statements are absurd.
You are not a human if you have coffee in the morning because in primitive
times they did not have coffee. If you cook your food you are not a man
because a real man does not need to cook his food.