[Farmall] O-12 Progress

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Mon Feb 5 07:43:06 PST 2007

Oops.. I forgot one tractor, a 10-20.  A Waukesha F-12 would be nice,
although it's not a burning desire.  I'd really like to have an O-14.

Based on what I've seen, O-12s seem to be a lot more common than W-12s out
here.  Maybe the 10 mph top speed on the O-12s made them more attractive?
There do seem to be plenty of F-12s, many of them with the single front
wheel option.  Great tractors for cultivating the narrow row vegetables
grown in California.

It would be fun to find some of those odd T-20 variants that Guy Fay
describes.  There do seem to be a surprising number of the 10-20
TracTracTors around; half a dozen rough ones sold last year at the Heinrich
museum auction up in Sacramento.

I'm wondering just what tractors were sold as Fairway versions.  I think
I've read about a Fairway Regular, and we know about Fairway 12s; what other
versions were there?  Any idea how many were sold?  Somebody on the YT forum
recently claimed that 600 Fairway 12s were built.  Their serial numbers are
intermingled with O-12s.

I took a few pictures over the weekend, primarily of the row of F-12s.  Most
of the orchard tractors are packed in a 40x60 metal building without lights,
so it is pretty much impossible to get a decent picture of them.  Things are
really tight in there... at least 25 tractors hiding from the sun and rain.
And the 'nuisance vehicle' ordnance enacted a year ago.

Jim, good point about the governor.  I need to find a source for that flat
thrust bearing.

-Karl