[Farmall] Hydrolic system Farmall 560 Diesel

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 20 10:02:34 PST 2007

I bought a 560 diesel a couple of years ago and discovered that I
couldn't steer when the temperature was below freezing - the hydraulic
fluid was so full of water that it froze!.

So I changed the fluid and the filters (which were in a pretty bad way).
Be aware that it takes something like 17 quarts - the better part of a 5
gallon pail of fluid. In order to really flush the system, you need to
open all the drains, drain out as much as you can, and then you need to
run the engine for about 30 seconds and operate all the hydraulic
controls and turn the wheels lock to lock to pump the rest of the fluid
out of the lines, cylinders, valves, and pump. When you refill the
system, you have to cycle the cylinders and the steering at least half a
dozen times (or more) to purge all the air out of the system. Then check
the level and bring it back up. The most critical part is getting the
side access plate back on and sealed - it is a good idea to get a new
gasket when you get the filter(s).

If the hydraulic fluid isn't "white" but is still relatively clear, I
wouldn't bother to go to all the trouble and expense of changing it all.

Mike