[AT] grounds (OT and long)

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 11:05:42 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/20/2007 5:53:24 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
chill8 at suddenlink.net writes:
I admit it's  probably not the
most economical way to do it.

Charlie,

I'm  not sure how it could be accomplished cheaper. I believe everything
described  was required.

I think I caused some confusion on this in one of my  posts.  Additional
grounds are OK.  Its not OK to bond the neutral  with the secondary ground system.
 Neutral is only connected to ground at  one location except, if the building
houses "farm animals." Warren also gave a  good example for mobile home
panels which are typically not grounded but are  connected to a pedestal or pole
mounted disconnect and feed with 4 wires.
(2  hots, 1 neutral and a ground)

The safety requirements for grounding  electrical equipment started before
modern day ground fault equipment  existed.  The ground function was to make
sure that the protection  equipment would disconnect (blow a fuse or breaker) to
reduce the risk of fire  and remove power from electrical equipment that might
pose a hazard to people,  livestock etc.if a short or fault occured. The
newest safety devise is the "arc  fault detector." This has been very
controversial but is now a requirement in  new construction.

The point of all of this is the NEC is the "Bible"  for electrical wiring.
It is not perfect and has changed many times over  the years to both reflect
the changes in technology and to better define the  intent of some of the
articles which have been subject to different  interpretations.  As Dudley points
out in his conversation with the state  inspector "he said somewhat
sarcastically"  (may not be the exact quote)  and reflects how my statement "it all
depends" has bearing on the subject.   As has also been pointed out local
requirements can exceed NEC  requirements.  My own house that I wired 40 plus years ago
has many present  day violations.  I recently got a notice from my insurance
(State Farm)  that states unless I modernize my service entrance equipment I
can expect higher  premiums.

Several others have responded to my concern with the method  many use to
connect a generator into a home or building.  I have reached to  point in my life
where like Farmer, I forget to disconnect the air  compressor.
So the concern is, will I always remember to disconnect from the  power
company. (in my case I would need to operate up to six breakers depending  where I
connect the generator). Pulling the meter is a good idea but illegal (my
meter has a notice posted stating it is a criminal offence to tamper with the
seal or remove the meter) however I have done so in an emergency and followed up
with a call to the utility company.  I too find transfer switches expensive
but will likely install one when I do the service entrance  upgrade.

I can say without hesitation that I have made many  mistakes with electrical,
plumbing and antique tractors over the years.   Some of these could have
resulted in my, or someone else's death. I also know of  electricians and pilots
who gave their life from a simple mistake. My point here  is that even being
trained and licensed doesn't ensure safe  practices.

Recently there was a post about a young man who was  electrocuted while using
a tractor to try and remove a car that he had been  involved with in a
accident.  I don't know the details but would warn  anyone who sees power lines (not
220 feeding a house but the high voltage type  upstream from the transformer)
to keep a far away as possible. We have had  deaths here during storms caused
by down power lines and people not  understanding the danger of electrocution
even when many feet away from the  wires.  About 20 horses were killed over
100 feet from some downed  power.  I know, horses are and cattle are more
sensitive.

I wasn't  going to post anymore on the off topic but felt I somehow put out
bad  information.  Sorry for any misinformation but the bottom line is, be
safe,  get necessary permits and have your work inspected. I do not have a state
electrical license.  You are not required to have one to work on your OWN
house in this state.(you are not allowed to work on renal housing you own unless
licensed).  I did spend the last few years of my FAA carrier inspecting
electrical equipment.  I attended a school taught in Oklahoma on lightening
protection bonding and grounding. The course studied the NEC, and taught
exothermic welding of ground cables and systems, and included case studies of
accidents and electrical failures. (1990 or so very out of date  now)

Gary
Renton, WA.