[Farmall] Help with snow plow adjustment

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Mon Dec 31 11:01:35 PST 2007

Ivan

I am guessing what Mike refers to as millings would be similar to what
we know in our part of the US as crusher run or scalpings.  We can buy
it in #0 or #1 etc.  #0 is popular for topping because it packs well.
Pieces of stone under 1/2 or 3/4 inch mixed with stone dust and powder.
It is very difficult to plow snow from until a good hard pack of snow is
created.  When necessary I have raised the plow about 2 inches with the
hydraulic and left the remainder to pack on.  Over time I have done this
with both tractor and PU truck.  If the skid shoes run on the stuff
they dig a furrow in the stone due to the plow weight on them.  That
rolled up stone carries right onto the lawn with the snow.  Working with
a truck currently, I usually just back blade  the first few times to
avoid digging.  When I have a pile  of snow bladed up and have to push
it off, I drop the plow, then raise a couple of inches before pushing
ahead.  That works pretty well.  Once a good hard pack is established,
just drop the plow and go as if it was blacktop or concrete.  The real
problem happens after a partial thaw when the hard pack melts and
refreezes into glare ice.  I do not like that, but accept that as how it
is with a stone drive and walk very carefully..

Re: your question
At one time I did my plowing with my 8N Ford and a Wagner loader with a
grader type blade.  The skid shoes were set to keep the cutting edge at
least 1 inch off the surface with the blade in the most straight up
position.  Naturally, the shoes were on the rear of the blade.  As I
tilted the top of the blade forward, the cutting edge would move nearer
to the ground for digging.  If I read your question correctly, this is
what you were asking.  Think how much nicer it would be if the neighbor
opened his wallet and had black top put down.  (grin)..

Charlie V.