[Farmall] broken easy out

David A. Gregg dgregg at bright.net
Sat Dec 29 09:30:40 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:55:36 -0500
From: "Paul Sigmund" <pwsigmund at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Farmall] broken easy out

This has been a most useful thread.  The one thing I have struggled with is
locating the center of the broken shaft with a center punch prior to
drilling, particularly if the break is irregular and below the surface.
Anything less than right on prevents getting most of the broken part out
with bits approaching the original threads.  Any suggestions how to flatten
the break without further deteriorating the hole and exposed threads?
----__________________________________________________________

Paul

I have had decent luck removing broken bolts with left hand drill bits.
After a good soaking with penetrating oil, locating the center and drill the
hole starting with a small and working up. After each size I soak it and let
it cool again. Seems the small amount of heat generated will help loosen it
up and with the pentrating oil on it will suck down between as it cools.
Most of the time the bolt shell will unscrew as the drill does it job.
I don't have a lot of sizes of left hand bits but they do work.
Easy-outs, they only ever worked for me when the bolt was loose enough to
remove by hand already.
Many times if it is at the surface or very close or above slightly in cast
iron, I will weld an appropriate sized washer to it thru the hole then I
weld a nut to the washer. Let it cool completely and soak it again. The heat
from welding will help break it loose as well.
There are many different ways and some are the best way for certain
applications and then be the worst for another.
Patience is probably the best virtue in any case.
Glad you got it out.
David