[AT] Shop LP Plumbing

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Fri Dec 28 21:01:22 PST 2007

Farmer as I posted earlier the LP pressure to most household  gas appliances
is set to 11 to 13 inches of water column. Your 6 PSI pressure would cause
the burner to go into melt down.
Strictly from memory your 6 PSI would be about 166.  inches or so water
column.

This I found on the Internet 1 PSI = 27.7612 inches water column

The following is what I picked up doing a Google on LP regulators.

"Propane tank pressure can range from under 10 psig to over 200 psig.
Residential applications will generally require 11 inches water column
(amount of pressure required to push a column of water up 11 inches in a
manometer) and the regulator compensates for these pressure differences in
the tank to supply a steady flow of required pressure to the household
appliances. Not all applications are similar to that of residential use and
will therefore utilize regulators for higher and lower pressures as required
by the appliance(S). In summary, the purpose of a propane regulator is to
bottleneck" the propane down to a safe and usable pressure. An important
point to note is that under normal operation, a propane regulator will make
a "humming" noise. This is normal and should not be construed as a problem
or regulator malfunction."

All of my LP appliances have a drip leg in the supply line where the gas is
connected to the inlet. My electric appliances do not have a drip leg
however they are well GROUNDED 8-)

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA

On 12/28/2007 8:44:59 PM, Francis Robinson (robinson at svs.net) wrote: > --On
Friday, December 28, 2007 7:29 PM -0600 > "Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois > USA"
<gwaugh at wowway.com> wrote: > > > Not positive, but pretty sure that copper
IS OK for LPG but NOT for > > Natural gas. As Chuck says, there is something
in Nat gas that attacks > > cupper. Sulphurous compounds?? > > > > -- > >
/Gene > > Gene Waugh > > Elgin, Illinois USA/ > > >
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% > > > Natural gas
has moisture in it. LP is dry. The reason that The gas company > > wouldn't
run a gas line to my old house 20 years ago was that they said > that since
it was down the hill from the main line that they would have to > install a
special setup (I forget what it was) that would deal with the > water that
would accumulate. > Around here if you call a propane dealer and have him
come and set a tank > and run lines into a house they will run "EVERYTHING"
in flexible copper. > They will set a regulator at the tank to bring it down
from the roughly 125 > PSI down to about 10 PSI to run to the house. There
they will set another > regulator which IIRC is set at about 6 PSI (not
Inches of water column, > natural gas is inches of water column). On natural
gas here they like a > regulator at each appliance. On LP they don't > use
them. I have "NEVER" seen > a drip leg on an LP installation here but
natural gas requires them. > BTW, some PEX (cross linked polyethylene) is
now approved for gas use in > some cases. Some of it is also approved for
compressed air. > > As an added note an old friend (now deceased) told me
once that they had > bought some expensive plastic gas pipe to run natural
gas from his gas > well > to his house back years ago. He also said that
they ran a line at the > same > time using cheap black poly pipe to feed a
tenant house farther away. Some > > years