[AT] Shop LP Plumbing

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Fri Dec 28 16:50:19 PST 2007

On 12/28/2007 at 1:33 PM H. L. Staples wrote:

>Another thing, I have been told that using copper is not recommended
>because
>the copper flakes off and stops up the small openings in the burner
>orifices

HL,

'Bout twenty years ago in Plano, TX, a furnace man I called out (for
an unrelated problem)  told me that he needed to replace the existing
and perfectly fine looking non-leaking copper pipe to my furnace (in the attic)
with one that would not corrode internally - and that building code required this.
He said it was in fact illegal for him to install a copper gas line or make
a repair to a furnace with an existing one and turn the gas to the
furnace back on without replacing it.  Evidently natural gas SLOWLY corrodes
copper pipe as it flows through it.

I thought this sounded odd, but when he pulled the old solid copper
line (and replaced it with a flex metallic one with an epoxy looking
internal coating), he showed me the inside of the old copper one
(of 20+ years of service).  Sure 'nuf, there was corrosion on the
inside - enough that some if it come out when he tapped the end
of the removed pipe on a board.  He said he had found some old
copper lines almost completelyu corroded through after years of service.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com