[AT] Ch/now single cross dbl cross

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Dec 27 17:26:54 PST 2007

    Charlie;
    Actually corn has been bred away from multiple ears. Ancient breeds of
corn would have many ears, but of poor quality. Corn is actually a grass and
natural tendency for grasses is to produce many seed heads, like Johnson
grass or Foxtail.
    The property of hybrib seed stocks is not to produce superior product,
but to pruduce a superior offspring with desirable characreristics, such as
yield, disease and pest resistance or drought tolerance.
    There are a limited number of seedstocks with very different traits and
can be interbred, or crossed, 2, 3 or even 4 ways to get the desired
results.
    If you ever get the opportunity to watch or participate in the harvest
of seed corn you would wonder how the seed could ever produce a bumper crop
with the low yields and poor appearance of the parent stock.
    Farmer would be much more detailed than I could ever hope with his
experiences with Garst Seed Company.
    The ideal seed population is one that will produce average ear lengths
of 9 inches. This will vary considerably by soil types, fertility, moisture,
row width and length of growing season. Our area with 30 inch rows will
nornally support a 29,000 to 34,000 seed population per acre and yields in
an average year of 120 to 180 bushels per acre. Row widths here are from 22
inches to 36 inches.

                                Gene