[AT] Winter roads and impact on crops

John Widener johnwidener at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 27 14:06:06 PST 2007

I work for the department of transportation here in Indiana, "Diesel
Mechanic"  and we use granular treatment "salt" and also Liquid Salt "Brine"
All of our trucks are fitted with an electronic spreader control that will
only allow so many pounds per lane mile to be distributes on the roads. If
the truck starts delivering to much salt then it shuts down, so you have to
deliver the right amount or you wont be distributing anything at all. And
also there is tests done to the state right of way beside all highways to
make sure that there isn't too much sodium in the surrounding soil. So they
have come a long way in salt distribution in the past 5 years. The Brine is
only put down when there is a threat of the roads or bridge decks frosting
over night. after the first rainfall its washed away... The brine is also
used in certain temperatures to activate the granular salt. This is done by
spray nozzles that sits overhead of the salt being distributed, its not
always used. Like I said, its only used at certain temperatures.