[AT] Winter roads and impact on crops

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 14:01:34 PST 2007

When we selected g'ment seedlings to plant along the road in front of our
place the info supplied by the county suggested that Austrian pine was more
tolerant of road salt and fumes than most other trees.  It has been seven
years since the little guys were planted and about half had to be replanted
the following year. It was a dry summer and we got behind on chores like
watering.  A van flying off the road got one of them at year 3, and last
winter the rabbits girdled about half of them - I was going to thin them at
some point, the bunny just selected them before we did.  They are now
thriving and 6-7 feet tall.  Another interesting thing that was learned
after the fact was that Austrian pine are notorious for not transplanting
well.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel