[AT] Check planting

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Thu Dec 27 07:00:02 PST 2007

Thanks Jack,   I guess I need to see a picture of it or something.
The way I have it figured if you check plant in 30 inch rows then the
spacing in the row between plants would also have to be 30".  That would
give you a plant population of only about 6970 plants per acre.  All corn
that I know of is either single or double cross, meaning it has either one
or two ears per stalk.  (Seems like I've heard something about triple cross
corn but I've never seen any.)
I just don't understand how you could have a reasonable yield that way.

Don't misunderstand.  I'm not saying it was a bad way to do it.  I'm just
trying to understand the process.  Did you maybe plant more than one stalk
per "check" if I can call it that?  Maybe per "hill" would be a better way
to say it.  I can see where the extra room would maybe make the stalks grow
better but that doesn't always translate into bigger, fuller ears.   Also
allowing the extra sunlight into the crop canopy (because of the wide
spacing) would seem to me to cause a problem with late season weeds.

This same topic was discussed here a few years ago.  I didn't understand the
concept then and just decided to explore it a bit more this time.  I'm not
trying to turn it  into an arguement.  Just want to get a clear mental
picture of what the field looked like.

Charlie