[AT] About "Live" PTO

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 26 11:45:32 PST 2007

The big advantage of true live pto is that you can be baling hay, cutting
hay, etc. and if the occasion demands it, you can stop forward motion of the
tractor without the p.t.o. powered machine stopping working. Very important
when pulling a baler since the most common reason for pushing the clutch and
stopping is that the baler is overloaded and needs a "rest" to catch up .
Without live pto, as soon as I step on the clutch to stop the tractor, the
baler would stop too, full of hay and now certainly plugged and I have to
get off the tractor and spend some time pulling hay out of the bale chamber
before getting rolling again.
Some makes,, like my Massey Super 90 made use of the two stage clutch to
give a good imitation of live p.t.o. Step on the clutch half way to stop
foward motion but keeping the p.t.o. running.  It does work but hard to
remember not to push the clutch all the way when I just want to stop the
tractor, not the baler too. Guess I am just too accustomed to the true live
p.t.o. that Cockshutt introduced back in 1947 and made it so easy. A
separate p.t.o. clutch lever at the back to engage or dis-engage the power
shaft regardless if the tractor is moving or parked.
Not sure but I think my DC4 Case has this feature too. Its so long since I
have driven that hard starting old Case that I really can't remember.

Ralph in Sask.