[AT] Check planting

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Mon Dec 24 08:10:32 PST 2007

>I have been trying to figure out what check planting is and after
>searching it seems to me as it is the same as we used to plant
>orange trees in Orange County, California. The trees were planted 20
>feet apart both up
>and down and across.

Whereabouts in Orange County, Ernst?  We used to grow citrus near the
Culver's Corner area of Irvine.  Granddad set our trees out in the
twenties using the old-fashioned 24x24 spacing that was standard at
the time for most orange groves.  I would guess your 20x20 spacing
might have been planted a little later, when growers were starting to
feel the land crunch and trying harder to maximize production by
planting more trees per acre.

Merry Christmas to the list and thanks very much, Spencer, for
getting us all together.  In fact I was just thinking about that last
week.  Was hitching up to Don Bowen's trailer (stored indefinitely at
my place, but I have usage rights!) to haul a small skid
steer.  Needed a third center loading ramp because of the narrow
width of the skid steer, so tossed a length of heavy channel (part of
a TD18 frame) that John Parks had given me in the back of my
truck.  Then the lights on one side of the trailer didn't work and
could have sworn I heard Farmer's voice in the background "Check your
grounds, check your grounds!"  Sure enough, rusty connection where
the light was bolted to the frame.

Richard

Richard & Judy Walker
Monrovia, CA