[AT] Check planting (was) Homemade tractors.

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Dec 23 07:29:02 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry D Goss" <rlgoss at evansville.net>

 I do remember "checking" corn while planting so
> it could be cultivated in both directions with a horse.  Oscar Fahlsing
> owned the farm to our east and he always checked his corn.  He would still
> be cultivating it when it was over his head.  I don't know why Dad had
> ours
> checked.  We didn't own horses!  I guess he just liked the way the field
> looked when the corn started growing.  There's a famous American artist
> who
> memorialized checked corn in one of his paintings.

    We never "check planted" but when we had to hand replant a row or spot
my father always instructed me to plant 4 seeds to the hill. Of course all
of the check planted corn I ever saw was "hill drop" controlled by little
mechanical gates down in the boot of the planter. My father always said "One
for the blackbird, one for the crow, one to die and one to grow". He always
attributed that to the Indians but I'm not sure of its origins. I did Google
it and found dozens of slight variations of it but they all seemed to start
with the same "one for the blackbird" line. Some called for 3 seeds, some
called for 5 seeds. Some mentioned cutworms, some mentioned moles.
    BTW, I once read where some, know it all "expert", stated point blank
that moles never ate roots, just grubs. Not much of an expert nor
observer... Every farm boy has seen a mole go down a row eating every root
sprout when it was about an inch long. Moles tend to choose where they live
and feed based upon the grub population but I have long observed them to
have a varied diet often based on what was available. You can "drive" them
away from a choice area over time by spraying it with  grub killing
pesticides but they are too smart to starve down there just because some
supposed expert says that they never eat roots...   :-)

--
"farmer"

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the
well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are
showing a new road.  ~Voltaire

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net