[AT] Homemade tractors.

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Dec 23 05:54:18 PST 2007

A single horse drill is one of those things that never was a "recognized"
attachment available for the Economy/Power King/Jim Dandy line of tractors,
Farmer.  I don't know that I've ever seen one.  Our neighbor had a Van Brunt
(I think that's the name) when I was growing up, and I spent a number of
hours behind that thing sowing wheat, but I didn't know there was a
one-horse drill available.  I do remember "checking" corn while planting so
it could be cultivated in both directions with a horse.  Oscar Fahlsing
owned the farm to our east and he always checked his corn.  He would still
be cultivating it when it was over his head.  I don't know why Dad had ours
checked.  We didn't own horses!  I guess he just liked the way the field
looked when the corn started growing.  There's a famous American artist who
memorialized checked corn in one of his paintings.  I can't remember his
name this morning, but he turned out a lot of pastoral scenes that were
purchased wholesale by school boards to decorate the hallways of school
buildings.

The early PK's were made from surplus items from WWII.  The early drive
train consisted of the same clutch and transmission as the WWII Jeep (and
post-WWII Crosley).  The early rear end was a Model A Ford.  I'm not sure
who made the final drives, but I'm pretty sure they were also purchased.
Some of the front wheels on the early tractors were surplus tail wheels for
airplanes.

I knew a professor at Purdue who made a number of tractors from scratch.
Every one of them was unique and different from the previous ones.  They
were all powered by single cylinder engines, and most of them used
automotive steering and had direct drives like a Gibson rather than having a
gear reducing final drive.

My grandfather and uncle in Colorado had a buck rake that was originally a
20's vintage Buick.

Got to go.

Larry