[AT] Spam> Favorite tractor?

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Dec 22 10:43:31 PST 2007

Bob, because of space limitations (both for property and storage) I went
with Power King tractors almost exclusively when I switched over from
collecting farm toys to spending the money on things that run and do real
work.  For a workhorse that will do things much better IMHO than the
Cub/C-42 combination, take a look at a 70's vintage Power King tractor with
a 48 or 60 inch mower deck on it.  Independent PTO, full-time hydraulics,
creeper gearing, a drive train that's built like a tank, etc.  I now own
eight ranging in year from 1946 to 1995 with a wide range of configurations
from bare bones (manual everything) to dual hydraulic systems, power
steering, FEL, and hydrostatic drive.  Some parts for them are no longer
available, but there is a network of collectors for them on-line and
everything except the sheet metal is still available new.

I owned a Cub with the C-42 on it and was "not exactly happy" with it
because of the lack of power and no overrunning clutch.  But the Cub does
have a couple very positive things about it.  One is the cuteness factor,
the other is the mid-mount grader blade.  If I owned a Cub, I would keep the
grader blade on it year around.  But I have a Gill hanging acting as a
counter weight on the FEL tractor (Big Red) and that is so efficient at
leveling dirt, gravel, etc, that I don't miss the mid-mount grader blade.

Larry