[AT] Allis C doesn't charge.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Dec 22 04:19:05 PST 2007

We had this problem with the little Allis' starters 40 years ago.  The
ones that use the tapered bolt to hold the starter in.  If you will put
a #1 or 1/0 AWG cable from the bolt on the back of the starter to the
place where you ground the battery, or to the battery ground post
(whichever is easier) I would bet it will start.  Be sure to GRIND all
paint and rust from the surfaces.

That is how I started fixing them when I was in the tractor shop back in
high school.  We did not have as good batteries as we have available
now.  There is also an alternator that looks just like a generator.  It
is about $200, but if you want to stick with the original look.  Also
there is a solid state regulator that is made for model A and T that
goes in the generator under the brush cover band....

Cecil in OKla