[AT] grounds/shower

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Tue Dec 18 06:42:08 PST 2007

Howard,

I had an open neutral on my service that was maybe 10 years old at the time
and underground.  The cable was continuous from the meter base to the
pigtails on my dedicated 25 KW transformer.  I'm experienced enough to
recognize a floating neutral instantly and reported it as such.  (It even
showed up on a very windy day.)

The big shot the power company sent out condemned the service and was
arranging for another crew to come out to help install a temporary above
ground service.  Some cooler head in management suggested he check the
neutral clamp!  (As I already had suggested) The problem was solved and I
never saw that hot-shot again.

George Willer