[AT] grounds/shower

Dave Merchant nesys_com at ameritech.net
Tue Dec 18 01:41:19 PST 2007

We had it happen a couple years ago.

Standard US feed from the pole, 2 hot legs + neutral, 110 v from either hot
leg to neutral,
and 220 v across the 2 hots. In this case, the neutral was bare galvanized
stranded,
and also the mechanical support for the 2 hot wires. Tree fell on the line,
the 2 hot wires
stretched, and the neutral broke. Not many devices were turned on at the time,
but they saw the 220 v in series due to the floating neutral, they acted as
a group
of voltage dividers, some saw way over 110 v and burned out (no fire,
fortunately).

I drove a ground stake quite a few years ago, after I realized that the
water supply pipes
had been switched from iron to PVC. About time to check it I suspect.
Apparently current NEC wants 2 ground stakes separated by 6+ feet.

Also, regarding something Mattias said, I've been told many parts of the
world require
switching off neutral at the same time as switching hot. Many US electrical
people think
it makes no sense, leaves you with the floating neutral issue, but it's
legislated.

Dave Merchant