[AT] : Ice Storm

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Dec 14 18:30:02 PST 2007

I have more generators around here than I really know.  I have collected
them for years.  I have some antiques from the 30's here too.  They
always fascinated me as a kid, and they were too expensive for me to
afford.  Now I still cannot afford them, but they seem to follow me
home.  I have always had a soft spot for ONAN generators as they are an
industrial duty and run only 1800 since they use a 4 pole generator.  By
only running 1800 rpm this also derates the engine to where it lasts
almost a lifetime.  We had one in here that had over 3000 hours on it
and it only needed the carbon cleaned out of the head...

  I want to take an old swather  frame and power it with a generator and
make it into a tree cutting unit.  I could run a 20hp electric motor on
a hydraulic arm for clearing cedars and fence rows.  I have some 3 hp
oil clutch gearmotors to use for the drive wheel power.  With the
frequency drives available, variable speed would be simple.  Electric is
just so much more efficient than hydraulic.  I found a 35kw generator
but need to sell one of these small house units to afford to go get it.

Cecil in OKla