[AT] : Ice Storm

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Dec 14 05:27:28 PST 2007

I use a PTO powered 25 KW generator wired into a transfer switch on the
house. When the power goes out, I just wheel up a tractor (usually the
Farmall 560 diesel), connect the PTO, and flip the switch. The only
downside is the noise from having a tractor running at full speed right
outside my window, but having a nice warm house, running water, lights,
etc. makes up for the noise very nicely. When we get an outage, because
we are two miles in from the main road, the power never comes back on in
less than 8 hours, so the generator gets "exercised" at least once a
year, and generally more.

It amazes me how many people buy a generator in the middle of a storm,
and then sell it for a loss in the spring. Don't they think that the
power will ever go out again? And then there are those who run the gas
generator in their basements or attached garages with the doors closed...

We were fortunate here in northwest NJ - only an inch of snow and then a
very thin coating of ice that the trees seemed to shed easily. And the
temperature is expected to get into the 40s during the day today. Then a
repeat of the same thing on Sunday.

Mike