[Ford-ferguson] Oil

soffiler at ct.metrocast.net soffiler at ct.metrocast.net
Mon Dec 10 13:13:12 PST 2007

Hi David:

I think there are a few who still read this list.  It comes
to me just like any other piece of email so I tend to read
whatever happens to show up out of sheer routine.

I personally think synthetic MIGHT be a good choice,
considering climate.  I run synthetic in my modern
automobiles and it's amazing how easily they crank at 0F (it
doesn't get much colder than that in southern New England).

Downside to synthetic is seal compatibility.  It works fine
with modern equipment however I have heard unsubstantiated
rumor about small leaks turning into big leaks on older
machines.  You could try it and see what happens but that
might turn into a rather expensive experiment.  I can't
think of any clever way to determine if it'll work, short of
trying it.

Another question is oil pressure once warmed up.  Older
equipment tends to have looser clearances and calls for
somewhat heavier oils to maintain adequate pressure.  I do
seem to recall seeing a Mobil-1 0W-40 not too long ago,
which seems to have both cold-starting and adequate warm
viscosity covered.

I run Rotella 15W-40 in my modern Ford diesel utility
tractor (23HP Ford/New Holland 1520HST circa 1990) but it's
not synthetic.  Maybe there's another product by the same
name that is synthetic.  Rotella has an excellent reputation
and a smart marketing guy might start slapping it on a whole
range of products, who knows.  Also, diesel engines seem to
generally call for higher viscosities and I am not sure
you'd find Rotella in a 0W or 5W.

Good luck.

Steve O.