[Ford-ferguson] Oil

David buchner at wcta.net
Mon Dec 10 10:36:34 PST 2007

Does anybody still read this list?
I admit I've been pretty slack about it myself, usually just letting
the digest sit there unread for a while and then deleting it. I guess I
haven't been all that enthusiastic about tractors lately -- just sounds
too much like work. ;-)

So anyway, I have a diesel -- a Fordson Dexta. Built about 1960. I
mostly use it in the winter, in Minnesota, which means it has to start
when it's umpteen-below-zero all the time.

I've probably asked this before, years ago, but does anybody have
advice on modern oils and how they perform in engines like this? I've
been using a good heavy duty 10W30 all year, but sometimes I wonder if
I and the machine would be happier with switching to a 5W30-ish
synthetic for the winter. For easier cold starting, and quicker
lubrication during warmup. All I know that might affect this choice is,
it manages to get fresh oil good and black in a hurry, and that it
leaks quite a bit already.
I tend to think I'd be okay, as long as I picked out a synthetic that
carries a high-lettered diesel service grade. I've seen an oil called
"Rotella" which IIRC is synthetic, for use in semis and the like. What
about that?