[AT] ethanol

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Dec 9 19:45:29 PST 2007

On Sunday 09 December 2007 14:20:21 Ralph Goff wrote:
> Just as a side note to the carburetor icing topic. I recall some years ago
> when Mohawk first started selling gas with a certain percentage ethanol,
> one of the selling points was that we would not have to add gas line
> anti-freeze for winter use. The ethanol (alcohol) would serve the same
> purpose as gas line anti freeze and prevent carburetor icing. Considering
> that our ethanol content is going to be increased in gas over the next
> little while I'm thinking carburetor icing in old engines might become a
> non issue. I've never tried the Mohawk gas so can't comment if it worked
> but its an interesting idea.

We have 10% ethanol by law in MN, and I haven't seen much of that anit-freeze
on sale here since that went into effect.   (Before then stores had a lot of
space reserved for it, so I presume that means there isn't much demand
anymore - though you can still find it).

The MN law doesn't apply to Off-road vehicles - such as tractors, and I
suspect your local laws will not either.  So don't assume you are getting
ethanol in your farm tanks just because your car gets it.   You have to
ask/order it.   Check with your dealer.