[AT] Carburetor Icing (Off Topic)

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Dec 9 11:41:19 PST 2007

Wind chill has to do with the psychology of how air temperature feels.  It
has nothing to do with actual temperature.  The Siple-Passel equation is
"not exactly" good scientific work.  That may be one of the reasons why the
weather service latched on to the concept of wind chill -- it plays into the
hands of weather reporters whose basic philosophy is to pump anxiety about
the weather into the listening and watching public.

The old technique (dating from 1909) made use of a wet bulb-dry bulb
thermometer.  From a comparison of the two temperature readings, the
relative humidity of the air could be determined by using a nomograph
(chart).  The easy way to draw that chart was to make it as a triangle.
Sixty years ago a triangular sling psychrometer was a common instrument for
heating and air-conditioning contractors to use in determining the comfort
index.  You swung the instrument around your head on a string for a few
seconds, read the two temperatures, and projected the readings directly over
to the appropriate space on the chart to get the relative humidity ( an
accurate process) and the comfort index.  The comfort index depended on the
subjective evaluations of what temperature-humidity combinations felt good.
That's the problem that still exists when using the comfort index, heat
index, or wind chill.  All three of them are subjective and have nothing to
do with any directly measurable temperature.  Nowadays, psychrometers are
digital and/or have a small handle attached to them rather than the long
string or leather thong that they used to have.

This is more than you wanted to read about any of this.

Larry