[AT] Wind Chill (was RE: oil change)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 8 10:20:05 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Vinson" <dean at vinsonfarm.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:12 AM
Subject: [AT] Wind Chill (was RE: oil change)

> I think the distinction some of us are making is that those two
> phenomenons
> are in fact two separate things.  Yes, wind makes it feel colder.  And
> yes,
> carburetors can get frosted up when the ambient air temperature is above
> freezing.  But it isn't *wind* that makes them frost up, it's those other
> things happening inside the machine.
>
> Dean Vinson

Dean, I think we are in agreement and I'm not sure how the wires got
crossed. My original claim was referring to engine oil thickening as the
temperature drops. Obviously if an engine has been sitting out in -20 temps
for hours it doesn't matter much if it is windy or not , the oil will be
extremely thick.
What I was making reference to was that a warm engine will cool off much
faster if it is parked in the wind as opposed to one that is parked in a
shed or sheltered area.
The term "wind chill factor" refers to heat loss. Humans (and warm engines)
lose heat much quicker when they are exposed to the wind.
And I'd agree, wind chill factor has little to do with carburetor icing. Its
the humidity.

Ralph in Sask.