[AT] oil change (wind chill)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 7 21:56:39 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <JTakemoto at wildblue.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] oil change

> Tell that to my Car On a wet foggy day as I would get up to about 50 the
> wind going though the carb would freeze the moisture in it. shutting it
> down I had to drive a 40 to 45 till the engine was warm enough to
> compesate for the wind chill factor.
> Also if you leave a car or tractor out where the wind can blow though the
> radiator it will freeze up even if it is not below freezing. wind chill
> effect.
>
> J.
My thoughts exactly J. And after 50 something winters I have noticed that I
tend to cool off much faster when the wind is blowing as opposed to a calm
day. Example tonight. My Blazer sat outside for 3 hours at -14F and was not
thoroughly chilled when I went to restart it. The reason was simple, no
wind. If the wind had been blowing strong at that temp the engine would have
stiffened to the point of being hard to turn over after an hour or so.
The term "wind chill" actually refers to the speed of heat loss. It stands
to reason that objects (engines, people, etc.) cool off much faster , the
stronger the wind is blowing on them. Those of you living far enough south
probably don't hear the term used very often but here in Sask. lately every
weather report gives the wind chill factor. Its actually more important than
what the ambient temperature is.

Ralph in Sask.