[AT] Slightly OT: horse drawn implements

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Dec 2 17:00:08 PST 2007

    We have hills in east central Indiana... They are just a loooong ways
across and not very tall...   ;-)   ;-)
    The Amish community just east of me pulls balers behind a forecart with
an engine and bale in the field like we would with a tractor. They also use
air tires now. They shipped many of their steel wheels down to a community
in Davies County where they still do not use air tires. I still have one
modified wheel that they had used on a baler before the days of air tires.
It was made by cutting a wheel apart and filling the tire with pieces of
sidewalls cut from other tires. Then the wheel rim was welded back together.
Another old baler we bought from them still had steel wheels. Some of the
guys have skidsteer loaders now but I don't believe they are allowed to have
a hitch on the back of them. An amish acquaintence that owns a large sawmill
uses big loaders and grapples to handle logs. Much of his stuff runs on
compressed air and power from a large generator. He like many carries a cell
phone.

--
"farmer"

When you reach the end of your rope