[AT] OT NCSU

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Aug 30 10:47:46 PDT 2007

FWIW, Houck and Hammond are no longer with us, but Garland Hilliard is
living in the mountains of North Carolina and spends his time carving
absolutely magnificent objects out of wood.  He does not use the kits of
carving objects that are available from some supply houses and craft shops,
but rather wanders through the mountains and picks up suitable "drift wood"
that has unusual form that may suggest a bird, animal, or other living
thing.  He then turns these into very realistic artistic still-life's which
bring several hundred dollars each.  Some people collect decorative
porcelains from Europe.  I would love to be able to afford to collect some
of Garland's carvings.

And then, there are those of us who collect tractors.  :-)

Larry