[AT] grounded coil

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed Aug 29 14:46:17 PDT 2007

Thanks Larry,  I figured that was the case.  I just couldn't find his name
mentioned anywhere......even on the How Stuff Works web site.  Probably if I
was confused someone else was too.

The remainder of this is for Larry and anyone else that might be interested
in NCSU and or US Military spying.  If you're not then stop reading here.

Larry,  this goes back to the spring of my Freshman year (if I'm remembering
correctly).  To set the scene the year would have been 1969.  If you
remember how things were back then, every freshman engineering student was
loaded down with big books and on certain days with a portable drawing board
and a big old 23 scale slide rule (mine was a Post Versalog and I still have
it.  I think most guys had a K&E).  In addition almost everyone had a copy
of the News & Observer folded up under their arm.

On this particular morning I walked into the engineering building and into
my 2nd semester graphics and analytical geomertry class and deposited my
books, drawing board, etc. onto the table and proceeded to read the N&O
along with most of the rest of the class.   The headline that morning was
about the N. Koreans capturing the USS Pueblo.  The instructor was  retired
US Navy Lt. Commander Houck (not sure about the spelling) who was an EE.  He
walked in and said:  I know that the question in everyone's mind is,  "Is it
or isn't it a spy ship?"  He continued,  I can assure you it is a spy ship.
I designed (or maybe helped design) the equipment aboard it.

No point to the story.  Just an interesting side note that at the time made
me realize the connection between NC State and things that go on in the
world.  Being from a small tobacco farming community and being in school in
what was at the time a small city, I had never before realized the scope of
where I was and who was teaching me.
At the time NC State did not even have University status.

Charlie