[Steam-engine] Steam without wheels

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Mon Aug 27 01:03:57 PDT 2007

Rick

Nope! A steam hammer is just that. It is used for forging steel and other
metals. You may have seen small power hammers in your local blacksmith shop.
Little Giant was a major manufacturer. As far as I know they were built in
25 Lb, 50 Lb, 100 Lb and larger sizes. My son has a 100 Lb and his friend
who is our lead blacksmith at Lynden, has a 50 Lb hammer. These smaller
hammers were used for putting points on plow shares, making tools, waggon
parts etc. The big hammers were used with and without dies for forming. At
Rollag, the 1500 lb hammer is used to stamp out a commemorative plate each
year. At the end of the year, the die is destroyed which increases the value
of the plate (made from aluminum). Our first plate was the Liberty Bell in
1976. We have had J.I. Case, Avery, Music, Gas engines, Womens activities,
etc. all depicted on the plates. On a big hammer like the one at Rollag, the
hammer and the anvil are in two parts. The reason for this that a one piece
unit would crack from the striking force. At Rollag, they dug a 14' deep pit
and filled it with crisscrossed railroad ties, topped with concrete to hold
the anvil. The anvil sits in a ring at the base of the hammer. Our little
hammer at Lynden is in one piece. I don't know where the demarcation is.
Most of the modern air hammers I have seen are one piece units.

Pile drivers are again, a steam driven hammer that augments the effect of
gravity on the falling hammer with steam. Steam is also used to lift the
hammer back up. I am not sure if the diesel and air pile driving hammers are
double acting. I have a small dead weight hammer (you lift it and drop it by
cable) that I hope to hook up to a steam hoist some day.

If you can get hold of Vol. #2 of Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide there
is a good chapter in there on steam hammers and on dead weight pile drivers.
Your State Library may be able to did that up for you.

Glad to hear that you are ready for steaming. Did you put an exhaust head on
your engine to separate out the condensate so that it does not fly all over
everyone?

Best wishes
Francis