[AT] Looking at a New Tractor

Al Walker alwalker at gvtel.com
Thu Aug 23 17:25:39 PDT 2007

Tim Nobles wrote:

>I just want to move alittle dirt once in a while and be able to pick up
>plows etc.  The guy is asking $3000.  Any and all comments welcome.

Hi Tim,
I have an 860 Ford that has been in the family for over 40 years.  The
loader on mine is a Ford loader, front pump, but only a single valve.
It has a trip bucket.  I'd like to change valves and add hydraulics to
the bucket, but it is pricey to do.  I put multi-rib implement tires on
the front to put the load on more rubber than three rib ag tires. It
does steer a little easier when using the loader as a result.  The three
rib tires also cracked badly around the circumference on each side of
the center rib.  The majority of the load was being placed on those
center ribs and they are not made for that.  It is best to be moving
when attempting to steer, however. I have a 60" tiller hanging on the
back and that makes a very nice combination. It is my belief that power
steering wasn't available until the 861 came out.  I believe that
occurred in 1957.  I have driven one of those units with a hydraulic
bucket and they are nice, but I'm very happy with the 860 I have.

Al in NW MN