[AT] John Deere D flywheel numbers

Grant Weir grantweird at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:09:28 PDT 2007

Hello all,

    I've got a 1930 John Deere D I'm working on - serial# 102???   My parts
manual claims that my crankshaft number should have the D1053R flywheel, but
the one I bought (the flywheel was missing from the tractor when I got
it...) is a D1970R for later models after serial# 109944.  The parts book
shows this flywheel to be matched to a newer crankshaft that has a
counterweight bolted to it, whereas my crankshaft does not have this
counterweight.

    My question is this:  Will the D1970R flywheel work in place of a D1053R
or will there be a balance problem?

    Thanks!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.