[AT] OT virus warning

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Aug 17 22:27:33 PDT 2007

Well in simple terms you connect the router up between the modem and the
  NIC in your computer. The modem sees the router as a separate computer
You set up the router with an IP address. The router and the modem then
talk between themselves using a different protocol than your computer.
It acts like a translator and sits there telling both sides what the
other said. However it doesn't allow direct communication. This way
outsiders don't see your computer at all. It filters the information and
keeps the crud out. BUT many hardware firewalls are one way. They stop
things coming into you network but assume that data coming out is all
safe. This is OK as long as you don't get hit with a bogus file or virus
that tries to talk back. Then you have problems. So you run a hardware
firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York