[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Aug 15 09:27:06 PDT 2007

There are many small crawlers with three point hitches - JD 400 series,
Allis Chalmers HG's, IH 340T, and so on. Unfortunately, they tend to be
expensive to buy if the undercarriage and steering clutches are good and
expensive to fix if they aren't. And even average crawlers tend to cost
more than comparable wheel tractors. They also tend to be relatively
heavier than a comparable wheel tractor.

But the bigger problem for your application is that, while light on
their feet, a crawler will tear up lawns very quickly, not matter how
careful you are.

In my opinion, the best machine for grading driveways would be a
"maintainer" - a scaled down version of a road grader. But you would
have a center mounted blade with all the weight of the machine on top of
it, plus the ability to see what you are doing without twisting your
neck into a painful crick. (been there, done that) Unfortunately, such
machines are hard to find in good working condition, and are not easy to
haul. I have seen small ones being used by driveway paving companies
around here.

Mike