[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Aug 15 04:52:09 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "toma" <toma at risingnet.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:38 AM
Subject: [AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

> All of my tractors are Caterpillars. I have never owned a wheel tractor. I
> want to look for a wheel tractor with a 3 point hitch that I can set up
> with a grader blade. I worked on a ranch for a while that had an old
> Massey Furgusen that I think was about a 50 hp tractor. I got to be pretty
> good at grading roads with it. Last year I rented a 4wd Ford that I think
> was about 30 hp, it did and OK job too.
>
> I want to get a tractor that I can easily move on a trailer behind a 3/4
> ton pickup. In our area most of the houses are on 5 acre parcels so most
> have extensive driveways, the soil is mostly DG. I want to see if I can
> finance a career change by grading driveways during the wet season.
>
> What I am thinking about is a '50's or 60's model tractor in the
> $2000-$3000 range. I know most of you guys are more knowlegeable about
> tractors like this than I am so I am asking for recommendations as to make
> and model that would be good for this purpose.
>
> There are lots of tractors around this part of California so I figure I
> just need to visulize what I want and one will show up. This visualization
> technique has always worked well for me in the past. A while back I
> visualized a D8 and one showed up right away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Ooooooooooooooh what a dangerous concept...   ;-)   Just watching a
beauty contest would place me in grave danger...   ;-)

    Based on tractors I am personally familiar with if I was looking for a
tractor specifically for grading drives I would probably look for an
International 300 Utility with fast hitch. Yeah, I know it is not 3 point
but can be with adapters. Down pressure was available but when sat on float
(pin out) depth control could be set and would stay right there. I just
liked the way the hydraulics worked and even though the one we used was
manual steering (some have power steering) steering was quite easy. We kept
a steering knob on it and it was the easiest steering tractor on the farm
back in the mid 1950's.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson