[AT] Gas In Oil/OT

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 11 06:02:53 PDT 2007

A friend of mine, years ago, had a 292 Chevy 6 Cyl in a boat.  I drove up to
his place and found him with the boat on a trailer trying to get it started.
I didn't know how long they had been messing with it or what they had done
and started to try and help. They had jumper cables on the battery and were
ginning it over.  About the time I leaned over the engine to grab ahold of
the carb linkage I heard a muffled "cough" down deep in the engine.  I
jumped back just in time to miss the second BANG and the top of the flame
arrestor coming off.  It seems they had been ginning it over for a long
time, it was badly flooded (that's why I grabed the linkage to hold it open)
and it flashed off inside the engine.

It didn't do any mechanical damage to the engine but he had  to have it
completely disassembled and replace all of the gaskets.

Charlie