[AT] Gas In Oil

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 11 04:13:14 PDT 2007

All three scenarios mentioned so far about how the gas can get into the oil
are not that uncommon. Here is an example of each that I have seen.

The diaphragm on the pump on my T-20 ruptured and filled the crankcase with
fuel.

Farmall Super A's and the rest of that series/ style would blow a pump seal
and dump hydraulic oil in the crankcase.

Dad worked/retired from an IH dealer. They also sold Cadet's. The 682 and
782 series with KT17 Kohlers had a bad problem with filling the crankcase
with oil. Never could get anyone to admit it but there was a design flaw
that let the carb flood and fill the engine with gas via the intake. They
had one customer that caught his twice by checking the oil and noticing it
was overfull and smelled of gas. Others weren't so lucky. Those engines cost
too much to rebuild if they blew.

John Hall